Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, April 30, 2015

DIY Thursday: Box Gardens

 I've decided to build a box garden this year. Bought the wood--cedar since it's more weather resistant and not treated like deck wood is. So I have 6 planks of 8' cedar planks, 8 brackets, screws, a drill, and a (semi) plan for where to place these 2 boxes.

The hardest part was keeping the sides level. I didn't have a big enough space for 8+ feet of wood I could keep still and steady and still manage to screw together without the puppy sniffing around. I don't know how people do it, but I guess they were way more prepared than I was!

Still, it all worked out and I'm pleased with the results.

I now plan to have garden soil delivered. Not cheap, but since the ground soil I already have hasn't yielded anything of significance in the last several years, well worth it.

I created 2 boxes, one for leafy greens: kale, spinach, green beans (the plants are leafy!) and one with ground veggies: beets, carrots, and tomatoes since they didn't fit in the other box.

No comments:

Post a Comment