Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday Recipe: Indian-Spiced Grilled Baby Squash

I planted my squash this week along with all my other veggies. I had started them in old, abandoned dresser drawers and waited about 2 weeks for them to sprout little tops. Then I transplanted them into the ground, watered, put up a fence to keep out wandering humans, curious puppies, and the ever-present bunnies that seem to congregate in my backyard.

But my garden had me wondering...with all these veggies, what will I make? Sure, the tomatoes will make delicious sauce (gravy) and soup, but what else? Seems everything can freeze (yeah!) but I found this yummy sounding recipe when I searched for healthy squash recipes. Which in hindsight seems redundant since squash is healthy.

Mind you, I haven't tried it, since my squash are but tiny bits of leaf poking from the ground. But it's first on my list of things to make once they (grow) ripen! 

Photo is theirs.

Indian-Spiced Grilled Baby Squash

 Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger (I've mentioned, right, about being careful with the ginger? Strong!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (which I now have thanks to last week!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 pound baby pattypan squash, cut in half crosswise
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint leaves

Preparation

1. Preheat grill.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Thread squash and onion alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until tender, turning frequently. Drizzle with juice. Sprinkle with mint.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 61
  • Calories from fat: 53%
  • Fat: 3.6g
  • Saturated fat: 0.5g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
  • Protein: 1.7g
  • Carbohydrate: 6.9g
  • Fiber: 1.8g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0mg
  • Iron: 0.6mg
  • Sodium: 299mg
  • Calcium: 26mg

No comments:

Post a Comment