Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

DIY Thursday: Homemade Facials

I own this book DIY Natural, it's a great book and I highly recommend it. But I've now also subscribed to their newsletter. My new favorite facial has come from them. I've talked about a crushed strawberry facial scrub before, and have used an all natural oatmeal and honey scrub/facial as well, but I really like this one.

What I also like about their site is that they incorporate user comments (very informative) and tell you why it works and how much you can save. They also link (I've kept the links inbedded) to places you can find ingredients, though I've always found what I need at my local health food store. I've pasted the entirety here but take no credit for it. Only for using it. Picture is also theirs.

You will need:
Method:
I rub it all over my face, unless I want to do a full body rub which usually consists of rubbing over my face, throat, shoulders, arms, hands, elbows, legs, knees and tops of my feet. I let it sit for 10 minutes. I know it can be difficult to stand this long in the bathroom so I have magazines and my cell phone to keep me busy. 

After 10 minutes I step into the shower and rinse it all off. It usually takes a little scrubbing with a washcloth to remove everything but once gone your skin will feel amazing. I like to imagine it’s similar to how a snake feels after shedding his skin.

Just three applications per week will totally transform your skin’s appearance and elasticity. Some of my prior wrinkles have disappeared and we all know losing wrinkles rather than gaining them helps defy signs of aging we thought we had no control over.

Why it works:

The lemons are high in Vitamin C – the most widely used ingredient in skin care products – which is essential for the synthesis of collagen. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that helps reduce skin damage caused by free radicals.  Lemon also works as a toner which is great for oily skin, reduces blackheads, and promotes skin elasticity.

Honey, another widely used ingredient in skin care is another antioxidant and also an anti-irritant. If you are prone to oily skin honey will attract and retain moisture without oiliness. If your skin is dry it will hydrate and promote elasticity for a smoother softer skin. 

Honey’s antibacterial nature cleanses the skins surface and tightens the outer skin. It is said Cleopatra bathed in milk and honey to keep her skin looking younger. Honey jars have been found in Egyptian tombs and are said to still taste great.

Olive oil isn’t just great for the kitchen, it has been used for skin care since biblical times. It’s high in antioxidants, Vitamin E, and beta-carotene. It contains at least 9 different categories of polyphenols – which have anti-inflammatory properties. Your body’s cells incorporate the fatty acids from the oil making the skin more lustrous. I use it so much in cooking and topically on my skin that I laugh and say to people, I think olive oil flows through my body in place of blood these days.

When asked by other women what I do to make my skin glow I often tell them… I live a very healthy lifestyle. When they want more details I usually indulge them with the same story I’ve just shared with you. Many women even get out pen and paper to record my advice in the grocery aisle. Of course I’m extremely flattered by their interest and it reassures me that what I’m doing is working.

Never forget that nature provides us with everything we need in its most pure form and that’s how it was intended for use. It seems very simple and basic but it works and is a fraction of the cost of “professional” products… and who doesn’t want to save money these days, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment