Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, March 20, 2014

#BookBlast Dispatches from Paradise by Shelley Gitlow



Miami-based author Shelly Gitlow is the co-writer of the feature film Boynton Beach Club and the author of the novel Dispatches From Paradise.  In her former life, she was a family therapist and wrote several books on quality management.  She divides her time between New York City and Miami.
 
Shelley will be awarding an autographed copy of the book to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour. The more you comment, the better your chances to win!



Blurb:

Author and screenwriter Shelly Gitlow makes her fiction debut in this colorful, lightning-paced, and often wildly unpredictable modern tale about sex, lies, and love.

From the very first page, DISPATCHES FROM PARADISE takes readers to the family battlefield of three generations of women living together in the sultry city of Miami -- where DD cups abound, octogenarians recite erotic poetry and an S&M Fitness class is not for the fainthearted.

Written in the distinct voices of Liz (39) who pulls the plug on her marriage and quits her job so she can re-boot her life, her over-sexed mother, Claudette (55) who’s searching for her next partner/meal ticket, and Darcy (18) Liz’s beautiful, reckless daughter who’s realizing she might also have a brain and be a lesbian, DISPATCHES FROM PARADISE explores the complex dynamics of the women’s relationships as they tear through Miami’s wild clubs and outrageous art scene, changing, growing and reconnecting on new terms.

Drawing upon her unique insights as a family therapist, author Shelly Gitlow gives readers three characters they will never forget.  Her debut novel marks the arrival of a bold brash narrative voice.

Excerpt:
(MOM) LIZ:
“I couldn’t stand my cheating husband and that soul-sucking bank job for one more nanosecond, so I declared my life a do-over and took action. Richard was shocked, but (surprise!) he moved in with his bimbo. And my co-workers freaked when I walked out, flinging my pantyhose over my shoulder like a bride’s bouquet. But with my daughter Darcy (a former drug user) away at college, I was about to fulfill my fantasies of opening an art gallery and learning to kayak. Then all hell broke loose. My nymphomaniac mother manipulated me into letting her move in, and Darcy quit school and came back home. How am I going to handle the drugs, the sex, and (worst of all), the telling me how to live my life?”

 Buy Links:
Amazon

2 comments: