Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga

I changed this Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga a little because to me the purpose of a crock-pot recipe is to ignore it until the meal is finished. So I cut my chicken into smaller pieces and didn't shred it. May defeat the purpose of (or my understanding of) Tinga, but I use my crock-pot for when I'm not home so I have a ready made meal when I do get home!

It also makes me think of alternatives, such as just adding chili powder and red pepper. I'll have to play around with it.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
Ready In: 3 Hours
Servings: 18
Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chile peppers in
adobo sauce, chopped and seeded
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and
chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 (1 pound) chorizo sausage
Directions:
1. Mix chicken, onion, tomato sauce, chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, jalapeno peppers, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a slow cooker.
2. Cook on Low until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks; return to the slow cooker.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chorizo sausage in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes; drain and discard grease. Stir chorizo into chicken mixture.
4. Cook on Low for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  • From the original poster: Cooking times are approximate. My large slow cooker cooks very fast and the chicken only takes 2 hours. Your cooking time may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment