Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, March 27, 2014

DIY Thursday: Homemade Gummy Bears

Yeah, it's healthy, but more importantly it's healthier to eat. No suspicious preservatives or unpronounceable ingredients. I made 3 kinds, one using OJ (no, it wasn't fresh squeezed, it was Florida Natural) and 2 using different kinds of V8 Fusion. I will try it with fresh pureed fruit, when they're in season and not so exorbitant.
The last 2 gummy worms left!

And wow, they were delicious!

This is from one of my favorite sites, DIYNatural.com and the recipe I used. I did use fresh, local honey, but I admit to using the lemon juice from those little lemon-shaped squeeze bottles. The mold I used probably negated all my healthy ingredients, but I also gave it as a present to the person I made the gummy bears for.

I left in their recommended links in case anyone was interested.

DIY Naturally Sweetened Gummy Bears

You can make gummy bears in almost any flavor, using different combinations of freshly squeezed juices or pureed fruits. Below are three of my favorite recipes. Feel free to adjust ingredients and sweetness to your liking.
(Each recipe makes 16 gummy bears using 2 of the recommended molds.)

Orange Gummy Bears

Strawberry Gummy Bears

Blueberry Gummy Bears

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a whisk.
  2. Gradually whisk gelatin into the mixture, stirring constantly. (Avoid dumping gelatin into pan all at once, which will cause big globs of gelatin to remain in finished product.)
  3. Continue heating over medium-low heat until all ingredients are well combined and gelatin is completely melted. (The mixture will change from a grainy, jelly-like consistency to a more glassy, smooth consistency when gelatin is all melted.)
  4. Place gummy bear molds on a cookie sheet (which makes them easier to move without spilling once filled). Pour mixture into silicone molds and place in freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
  5. Pop gummy bears out of molds and store in an airtight container. They will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
Note: You can also pour mixture into a baking dish greased with coconut oil if you don’t have silicone molds. After mixture is set up, cut with a knife or use cookie cutters to make any shape you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment