Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Recipe: Chili con Carne

So it's March 1 and we're still in the heart of winter here. I've been spared the majority of the snow that's pounding the USA's Mid-West but have contended with rain. Rain. Rain and yet more rain! It's enough to make anyone depressed. I found this recipe while doing a simple search for winter recipes in the hopes of finding a nice meal to warm me up and remind me of summer.

Chili isn't exactly a summer meal, but this one sounds delicious enough for me to forget that and savor the aroma. Especially since it promises only 1 skillet and 20 min. I'm trying it Sunday, so no haven't played around with this one yet. I don't usually like to post recipes I haven't at least attempted, but I can't quite bring myself to cook this week. Miserable weather, miserable headache, miserableness all around.

In reading this how-to I find myself gazing up at the fire alarm in my dining room. You know, the one hooked up to my alarm company...the one where they've called me only twice and always because I'm using the skillet over the stove and neglected to open a window, turn on the microwave fan, and get rid of the smoke before it reached the dining room. Just a little warning...*G*


Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
  • 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
  • GARNISH:
  • Thinly sliced green onion, optional

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onion if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 cup equals 299 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment