Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday recipe: Slow Cooker Mexican Style Meat

Charley's Slow Cooker Mexican Style Meat
I used ground beef (because I had it) and cooked it on low for 5 hours and it came out just fine. It was also frozen when I started, though I'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything.


Prep Time: Cook Time: Ready In:
30 Min 10 Hrs 10 Hrs 30 Min

Ingredients
1 (4 pound) chuck roast (I used frozen lean ground beef)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/4 cups diced green chile pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (5 ounce) bottle hot pepper sauce (I used medium salsa)
1 teaspoon garlic powder


Directions
Trim the roast of any excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place meat in hot skillet, and brown meat quickly on all sides.


Transfer the roast to a slow cooker, and sprinkle onion over meat. Season with chile peppers, chili powder, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, and garlic powder. Add enough water to cover 1/3 of the roast.


Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours, checking to make sure there is always at least a small amount of liquid in the bottom. Reduce heat to Low, and continue cooking for 2 to 4 hours, or until meat is totally tender and falls apart.


Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 260 Total Fat: 19.1g Cholesterol: 69mg

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Love good recipes that can simmer in a Crock Pot while I'm working away. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fabulous book, Louisa, called Crock-Pot: The Original Slow Cooker Recipe Collection. Between that and All Recipies, I'm set all winter.

    ReplyDelete