Let me start off by saying I don't do UFC or MMA. Nope. But man, this story is HOT! And well written. And completely captured my attention. I hate to write a review with spoilers, I think it's unfair to the reader, so let me say a couple things I think will make you want to read this story as well:
The back story might have made a bit more sense if I'd read the first Battered Hearts story, but didn't detract so much that I was lost. And oh, yes...I'll be picking up Defying the Odds. All in all, I give this a 5 star review for holding my attention, teaching me about I subject I completely lack knowledge of, and interesting me enough to pick up her other books.
- Characters are well-written and intense.
- Sex scenes aren't repetitive and are nicely done.
- Despite my dislike of UFC/MMA, I didn't feel bombarded with jargon and description of the ins and outs (like I sometimes do with a Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum book) This was the right mix of information and keeping the story moving.
- I'm a total sucker for star-crossed lovers. Completely. It's one of my favorite romance troupes, and frankly Kele Moon does it perfectly here!
- And no...despite the names (all too much frankly and a bit too heavy-handed but eh, I can overlook that), I enjoyed the play between Jules and Romeo.
- Loved the use of modern technology that didn't seem overdone, which was all too possible, but it added to, not detracted from the relationship build-up between the lovers.
- Good secondary characters, but I'm not sure yet. Could be my love of Romeo took away from everything else.
- Not a fan of a prologue that then goes into a first chapter 5 days earlier, but I supposed Ms. Moon wanted to start us off with hot sex. I can live with that.
- I can do without all the dirty-talk, but I'm sure other readers like it and it did seem to go with the story as written.
- Alpha men. Alpha women. (with a little of the same-old/same-old misunderstandings tossed in)