So what do I love about the Regency?
- The clothes. Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in those tight leggins? Yeah. Women's gowns were beautiful, flowing, and to die for.
- The manners. They knew how to insult you with the most polite turn of phrase.
- The place settings. I wouldn't want to set the table and sure as hell wouldn't want to clean up afterwards. But as a guest, to sit at one of those elaborately set tables with footmen serving me and endless wine and food? Perfection.
- Secret Societies. There were all sorts of secret societies from the erotic to the economic. But they make for fascinating reading! I used The Hellfire Club for a short series but there are all sorts. With the rise of the coffee shops and the gathering of men (and women) interested in activities not merely following the current crowd, Secret Societies gained power.
- The fact that everything that happened in the Regency Era led to all the inventions of the Victorian Era. So much of what we refer to Victorian Inventions started because of the interest in science during the Regency Era/